Types of food incompatibilities
Types of Viruddha Ahara- Types of food incompatibility
Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana 26th chapter
“Ahara that which vitiates dosha and which is antagonist to the dhatu in the body is known as viruddha ahara.”
1. Desha Viruddha – Place – Intake of dry and strong substances such as strong wine, in deserts; oily and cold substance in marshy land is place contradictory diet habit. because, in deserts, it causes extreme increase of Vata and Pitta and in marshy land, it causes extreme increase of Kapha Dosha.
2. Kala Viruddha – Time contradictory diet habit – Intake of cold and dry substances in winter; pungent and hot substance in the summer.
3. Agni Viruddha – Power of Digestion contradictory diet – Intake of heavy-to-digest food when the power of digestion is low (mandagni); intake of light food when the power of digestion is very high (Teekshnagni). Similarly intake of food at various with irregular and normal power of digestion fall under this category.
4. Matra Viruddha – Dose specific diet contradiction – Intake of honey and ghee in equal quantities
5. Satmya Viruddha – Habit specific diet contradiction- Intake of sweet and cold substance by persons accustomed to pungent and hot substances.
6. Dosha Viruddha – Dosha specific diet contradiction- Utilization of drugs, diets and regimen having similar qualities with Dosas but at variance with the habit of the individual.
7. Samskara Viruddha – processing – Method of preparation specific diet contradiction:- Drugs and diets which when prepared in a particular way produce poisonous effects, for example, meat of peacock roasted on a castor spit, heating of honey etc.
8. Veerya Viruddha – Potency specific diet contradiction- Substances having cold potency in combination with those of hot potency.
9. Koshta Viruddha – Bowel specific diet contradiction –
Administration of a mild purgative in a small dose for a person of with hard bowel (Krura Koshta) and administration of strong purgatives food for a person with soft bowel (Mrudu Koshta)
10. Avastha Viruddha –Stage specific contradiction: Indulgence in Vata aggravating diet after physical stress, sexual intercourse, exercise.
Indulgence in Kapha aggravating diet by a lethargic, sleepy person.
11. Krama Viruddha – Order specific contradiction – If a person takes food before his bowel and urinary bladder are clear (empty) or when he does not have appetite or after his hunger has been highly aggravated.
12. Parihara Viruddha –Prescription specific contradiction – Intake of hot things after taking pork
13. Upachara Viruddha – Treatment specific contradiction – Taking cold things after taking ghee.
14. Paka Viruddha – Cooking contradiction – Preparation of food with bad or rotten fuel, under-cooking, over-cooking or burning during the process of preparation.
15. Samyoga Viruddha – Combination – Intake of sour substance with milk.
16. Hrudaya Viruddha – Palatability :- Any substance which is not pleasant in taste.
17. Sampat Viruddha – Richness of quality:- Intake of substance that are not mature, over-mature or purified.
18. Vidhi Viruddha – Rules of eating :- Taking meals in public
Effect of taking incompatible foods –
Intake of unwholesome food is responsible for the
Shandya – causation of sterility ,
Andhya – blindness,
visarpa (herpes, spreading type of skin disease),
Dakodara – ascitis,
Visphota – eruptions,
Unmada – insanity,
Bhagandara – fistula,
Murcha – fainting,
Mada – intoxication,
Adhmana – bloating
Galagraha – spasmodic obstruction in throat,
Pandu – anemia, initial stage of liver disorder
Amavisha- poisoning due to Ama (indigestion and altered metabolism),
Kilasa type of skin disease,
Kushta – skin disorders
Grahani – sprue, IBS,
Shotha – oedema,
Amlapitta – acid dyspepsia,
Jvara – fever,
Peenasa – rhinitis,
Santana Dosha – foetal diseases and
Mrutyu – death. [102-103]