Dyspnoeas-difficulty in breathing.
This is a Prana Vaha Srotas roga
Shwasatram means vegavata (forceful) urdhwa (upward) vatavam (movement of vata)
Hetu (Causative factors)
Shita vayu-cold air
Sheeta ambu sevana (excessive intake of cold water)-including cold drinks, food, ice cream, etc…
Gramya dharma sevana – illogical type of living, working too hard, bad eating habits, etc…not following the code of conduct of leading a healthy lifestyle, basically a western/modern world lifesytle
One of the Maharogya – deadly diseases, not curable
Kapha vardhaka nidana – things that increase kapha, guru, snigdha, madhur, amla,sheeta, lavana, etc…
Any obstructions in the kantha (throat) & urha (chest) – kapha
Vegavidharan-suppresion of urges
Anashana-not taking food for a long time, starving, fasting.
Buffalo’s milk in excess-guru, abishyandi…should take cows milk
As a complication and after effect of some diseases- atisar causes dehydration which leads to shwas, jwara (fever)-causes increase respiration, pratishyaya (cold/cough), rajayakshma (tb)
Vata increase Kapha increase Pranavahasrotas dushti
More vata involvement in Shwas vs. Kaasa-won’t die from Kaasa but can from shwassa
Maruta (synonym of vata)
Pranavaha Srotas Dushti Kapha formation in excess in Amashaya
3 Srotas get involved due to proximity
to Pranavaha,= Annavaha & Udakavaha Srotodushti
Annavaha-amashay(is the mulastan ) due to kapha
Udakavaha-throat & palate (those channels that carry water in your body-mulastan)
Pranavaha-hrudi & lungs
Treatment needs to include: heart, chest, agni-pranayama, then herbs
Anah-bloating in stomach due to constipation(this is initial stage of apanavayu dushti-first it collects due to blockage in udan & apan, so moves up and causes bloating)
Parshvashool- pain in flanks
Hrutpida-pain in the heart region
Difficulty in expiration(to breath out)-due to walls of bronchus being inflamed or blocked due to kapha then the lungs aren’t functioning properly and can’t push out the air.
Asya-vairasya-loss of sensation of taste
Dsypnoea-difficulty in breathing
- 5 types of Shwas
- Mahashwasa-big *incurable(asadya), severly compromised breathing, even though a person of this is sitting far from you, you can still hear their breathing. ( Simily of an intoxicated/angry bull-sounds that they make, heavy loud breathing)
- Urdhvashwas-Up-*uncurable(asadya), patient feels more difficulty in exhalation then inhalation, don’t usually see these first two in clinic require ICU
- Chhinna-irregular respirations (interrupted, not a uniform flow of breathing, increases, decrease, stops and restarts), associated symptoms-excessive sweating, dhaha, burning sensation in bladder, feeling thirsty-dryness in mouth, causes depression & mental weakness due to irregular oxygen to the brain. * Not as bad as first two but still uncurable
- Tamak Shwas-feels attacks of darkness in front of the eyes and is always in a Tamasic state, attacks happen more at night due to no sun present at night so Kapha increases and blocks. (sleep apnea falls here). Gets happiness by sitting-breathes normally when sitting=Aasino labhate sukham. Associated symptoms=coughing, itching in throat, & patient can’t relax in laying down position. *Not fatal, won’t kill as quickly at the other 3, manageable…not curable
- Kshudrashwas-little, less, mild, tiny, small *easily curable(sukhasadhya) mildest form, like from exertion or exercise. So just sit and relax. No medicine required. Bodies response to exertion. Everyone experiences this.
Hoarseness of voice, cough (Kaasa)and heart disease (due to heart having to work harder)
**If caught before 1 year then it can be cured…and otherwise can be managed with medicines.
**Practical on how to make dhumapana—liquify ghee, add to turmeric make paste apply to gauze or cheese cloth then roll, dry and light. Make cone (paper) inhale thru nose with eyes closed, then exhale thru mouth. Dhumapana-contraindications if any irritation or burning in the nasal passages, severe headache, heaviness, high inflammatory conditions, person with history of epilepsy (do whole room dhupana for epilepsy).
Guggulu, Vacha, jatamansi, haritaki
- Take away causative factors
- Sesame oil and rock salt heat and apply to chest. Liquifies Kapha so you can put it out of body, one way to do that is with Virechanika dhoomapana.
- If Kapha dominant then do virechana but Vata anuloman is best in general
- Tulsi leaves and rock salt can be chewed
- Tulsi juice & ginger juice with honey
- Guduchi is best works on all three doshas
- Maricha with honey for liquification of Kapha…ushna, tikshna& katu
- Vasa & Guduchi & black pepper all as single drugs are good.
- Sitopaladi Churna with honey and ½ to 1 tsp lick 2-3 times a day
- Talisadi Churna with honey and ½ to 1 tsp lick 2-3 times a day
- Ajwain with salt (don’t use for Pitta, because very ushna & tikshna)
- Beetle leaf juice (tikshna, ushna, katu—breaks down the Kapha)
- Garlic-prepare chutney good for shwasa and kasa
**For both shwasa & kaas if hoarseness of voice then use turmeric, rock salt and warm water to gargle.
Herbs as mild laxative:
- Gandharva Haritaki=(messengers/hand of God)-castor oil with haritaki, there can be combinations of this that have many other herbs in them but the basic is ok.
- Isabgol- found easily in Indian stores
Yellow berry nightshade-Kantakari swaras
3 grams of entire plant in churna form taken with honey 3x a day
Haridra rhizome (root)+vasa root+guduchi stem+kantakari fruit=make decoction with black pepper is good medicine for on the spot stop and attack
Bhang (marijuana)-leaves can be smoked (dhumapan)—last remedy due to laws used in villages in india—for daily maintenance. (no narcotic affect if using only the leaf)
Lepa of ghee & rock salt on chest
Ginger juice plus honey 1tsp to 1 TBS 4x’s a day for 40 days
1/8 tsp nutmeg w/ little ghee given 3 x’s for spasm (Vataja) esp for children, adults ¼ tsp maricha w/honey (kaphaja)
Give roasted rice-kulata (horse gram…find it and eat IT)
Avoid new cereals-NO Fruits, or fruit juice
Spinach, radish, all kinds of gourds…snake gourd, dudhi, patol
Goat milk, cooked cows milk and some ghrita in moderation
Egg white, goat meat and meat of some birds that we don’t get here in the west
Honey is best
All spices except red chili’s really useful is garlic, raw onions, coriander
Avoid all shita, guru, abhishandi, ZERO exposure to cold breeze, no suppression of coughing or sneezing will lead to asthma, no nuts
Massage chest and back with narayana oil mixed with rock salt, then do hot poltice with flax seed (put seeds in a cloth then heat it on iron or on hot cast iron skillet)
Steam inhalation- with nilgiri oil (eucalyptus oil)-the one that grows in the Himalayans is especially for inhalation (can be put on cloth and sniffed, breathed in)
Can mix Kantakari powder+amalaki powder each 1 part+1/2 part hing with honey and lick
Bharangi + vasa+fresh ginger+pushkarmula+kantakari w/honey and lick
Paan leaf juice 1tsp-3x’s day
Dashmularishtum-1TBlsp 3x’s day
Can make dashmoola kwatha (decoction) with rice kanji…eat for 4-5 days
In childhood if there is lot of shwaasa then spiritual work needs to be done, read birth chart for this
Shwaasa is said to be one of the diseases that is not only from this life, but is due to previous life.