More on Rasayana and Ayurveda in General
The 7 dhatus formed in same sequence, rasayana makes dhatus better
if consume rasayana, saara will increase (superior tissue)
each dhatu has saara improved, is richer, +ojas increases
(most vital part of dhatus is material called ojas)
ojas: bala, overall biological strength, immunity is a small part of it
3 kinds of bala:
- sahaj: by birth
- kaalaj: acquired by effect of time or time of day (most in the morning <+kapha>, least in the evening <+vata>)
- yuktikruta: through planned intervention (food, rasayana) artificially
2 kinds of ojas
– para ojas: subtle, small amount, located in heart (if injured, death), life sustaining
– apara: 8 drops, gross (anjali is the measurement, though ayurveda doesn’t measure things)
ojovyapad: early reversible disorder, disorder that is easy to correct, earl stage of bala disorder
ojavisransa: dislodgement; you have enough immunity, but it’s dislodged (all immune disorders), the body attacks itself. Rasayana will not help. Pancha karma is the only way. Body must be cleansed properly as per the individual…. Preparatory, Cleanse itself, then rejuvenation. Western cleanses see none of these properly or for the individual.
ojakshaya: more advanced stage, depletion, rasayana w/o panchamarka
- Balya: suppleness of children under 10 years (second decade is the period of growth)
- Vruddhi: growth, from 11 to 12 years
- Chhabi: beautiful person 20-30 (according to skin)
- Medha: brightness, intelligence by 40 (after 40 no more intelligence, then experience) <brahmi, shankapushpi will slow loss of medha>
- Twak: skin, at 40 skin becomes different. May not have wrinkles, but skin starts deteriorating
- Drushti: eyes; at 60, people need glasses
- Shukra: at 70, virility, potency is lost
- Vikram: by 80, pain, knee joint pain, physical ability decreases
- Buddhi: by 90 process/power of thinking, dementia
- Karmendrya: by 100, need help walking, need a stick
Nutrition and agni-specific:
- Brain-specific (medhya rasayana): Brahmi, vacha, shankapushpi
- Heart-specific (hrudya): arjun
- Skin (twakchya): haridra, bakuchi, kumari (aloe), manjista
- Eyes (chakshusya): triphala, jotishmati, amalaki, shilajit
- Lactating mothers (stanya): shatavari, methi
- Virility (vrushya): kapekachi, shilajit, ashweganda, musta
- For children: Chavanprash, vacha, amla, swarna (gold) (swarnaprasha: gold stick with vacha on it for immunity), swarnagritti (ghee with gold)
- Brahma rasayana: like chyavanprash, but more for brain function (brahmi, amalaki, haritaki, honey)
- Yastimadu rasayana, heals tissues
- Medhya rasyana: shankupushpi (best), yastimadhu, guduchi, madhukaprana
* Trikatu: helps medicine penetrate the tissues (sharp)
* Pippali is being added to modern drugs and antibiotics, doubles effectiveness
(the mention of these above does NOT give you ideas of just ordering them and taking them!!!!!!! Read the following to see how much diagnosis is required)
Rasayana can be taken life-long, but common practice says to take for a few weeks, stop, then start again. (6 weeks get benefit, medicine accumulates, let it get out of body)
If you want full effect of rasayana, go through panchakarma first. (agni and srotas need to be strong and clean)
Other considerations when choosing rasayana:
- Rasayana should be taken at very young age and middle age. Then your old age is smoother. Not a remedy for old age.
- Then consider which season you are in (sheeta rasayan in summer, ushna in winter)
- Prakriti: pitta, kapha
Combinations of drugs used for safety and efficacy. Multiple action. (Single drugs typically used for research, when treating patients, usually have combinations.) (No drug interactions in ayurveda, only in chemicals)
Chapter 30 of Sushruta Samhita on herbs and categories.
Ex: Vaajikarana drugs: strengthens sexual functions, virility, productive, happy. All in this category have some kind of rasayana effect, strength of a horse (vaaji = power = synonym of shukra).
- Kapikachu most common.
- Improves quality of progeny, future race
- Some increase semen production (reproductive tissue +), some increase flow of semen, sperm count
- Also elevate the mood, induce happiness (treatment of depression, especially in elderly)
- Shodhana applied before vaajikaran
- Chapter 26 Sushrut Samhita (in charak=chapter 2)
- Taking history
- Physical examination
- Apply 5 senses (modern doctors use scopes and other technologies to enhance the indriyas)
Examine patient (rogi) and disease (roga) separately. Examine patient as a human being.
- know the basic character of the person, temperament, background, status of health
- examine the disease
10 factors to be examined:
prakruti (most important), physiology, psychological makeup (emotions, memory, intelligence) <don’t mix of features of aging or disease with prakruti>
label #1 dosha in your mind (which is at number one, most prevalent), then #2, then #3 (and how close together they are or disparate)
If you correctly identify vata, pitta, and kapha, you will have no problems. For example, kapha has big body frame – cannot have big bones w/o kapha.
Easiest way to examine disease=8-fold examination: Nadi, mutra (urine), mala (waste), pulse, eyes, face, tongue (kapha: large, flabby, toneless tongue, teeth marks on side, no tone/pitta tongue has tone/vata: dry, winded, furrows, thin)
Diagnosis doesn’t just talk of disease, but of the person. Not always necessary to give a name to every disease. (May be that this or that dosha is up.) In every disease there can be many situations with different types of treatment. (cancer)
- Vata: crawling pulse, snake on the floor, light
- Pitta: force is pitta (Mandugati), frog, jumping
- Mixtures of pulses is highly likely and possible
Samprapti: (pathogenisis), full interaction of dosha, dhatus, and seat of disease.
- Atura prakruti: individual’s prakruti
- Desha prakruti: where the patient lives
- Vyadhi prakruti: prakruti of the disease (dosha, dusya, adhisthana, srotas)
- Agni bala: strength of agni
- Oja bala
Principles of treatment:
- Nidan-parivaijan: causal elimination (just eliminating the cause may be enough to avoid having to do treatment if early on)
- Dava-vyaphashray Chikitsa (divine therapy)
- Yuktivyapashray chikitsa: most important therapeutic treatment, logic/planned, rational, follows the fundamental principles
- Two main wings of chikitsa: sanshodham and sandhaman
- 1) sanshodham – purification of body channels, bio purification ; Large number of cells break every day, but body repairs.
- This is the reason panchakarma evolved, samsrota (this is the more common term, pancha karma is a newer term)
- Body reacts to any blocked channels or alien things, genesis of auto-immune diseases
- Before treatment, patient is given preparation to prepare.
Three parts:Purva karma (preparatory): langhan, deepan, pachan, sneha, svedana
- a) give deepan and
- b) pachan as medications for a few days to promote agni and brief langhan)
- c) then sneha (external oil massage and medicated ghee internally – 24 different ways to prepare ghee described in the texts)
- d) svedana (heat)
Srota blockages are fat-soluble so they can be removed. Otherwise, patient can’t be purified. “all cells vomit” every cell releases its toxins. Cell membranes made of fat with hard pillars. When oleated, the cell membrane becomes softer. With svedan it becomes softer still. In virechana, the cell squeezes and toxins come out gross to subtle level. Cholesterol doesn’t increase with extra ghee, decreases once vamana occurs. Pure ghee (medicated for the individuals predicament) is the safest, 5-7 days. (vasa for vamana, triphala for virechana). After, give svedana in form of steam bath 5-7 days depending on prakruti (if pitta, less time).
1.pradhan karma (main treatment), paschat karma (post treatment)
2. sanshaman — balancing the doshas) loss of integrity in srotas come because of stress, dietary habits, routine.
3. aushadhi (drugs), anna (diet), vihar (lifestyle and exercise); eliminate the cause of the imbalance
4. Satvavajay: psychotherapy, divert mind from evil to good factors, talks to patient and diverts from harmful to healing, manipulation of mind Quantum effect: if someone wishes or prays something, person will feel it. (not psychological or religious)
Vyamyamshakti: (strength of fitness) if good you can add in exercise at the proper time, if it’s poor, no exercise can be added.
Sattvapariksha: good mental stamina, two with pain and swelling (aama vata) one has weak mind, the other of strong mind. Don’t prescribe painkillers to the one with the weak mind; needs something to sustain mind and nervousness. All painkilling drugs are poison for kidney and liver.