Pongal is a rice dish in Tamil Nadu, and Sri Lanka. In Tamil, the root pong or pongu means to ” boil over” or “spill over”.
2 cups split yellow mung dahl
1 1/2 cup sona masoori rice
1/2 tsp ghee
2 tsp chopped curry leaves
3 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 cup cashew nuts pieces
1/2 – 1 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
1. Boil the rice and dahl in a pressure cooker. Turn off at one whistle.
2. Remove lid, add salt, and let boil a little bit more, then turn off heat.
3. In a large kadhai or pan melt the ghee.
4. Add whole black peppercorns, cumin seeds, curry leaves, and ginger and fry.
5. Add whole cashew nuts and fry.
6. When cashews are a little brown add rice and dahl and fry all together.
How simple, how tasty.