Upma is one of the best tiffin items because they can be prepared in less than 15 minute. Originally upma was made with rava. Today, it is made with all sorts of cornmeal upma, vermicelli upma, ragi vemicelli upma, cracked wheat upma, rice upma, and more. Vermicelli upma can be made for breakfast or as a light dinner.
Semiya -Vermicelli Pasta – 1 1/2 cup
Water – 1 3/4 cup
Onion – 1/2 (chopped)
Salt – as needed
Oil/ Ghee – 2 tsp
Green chilies or dry red chilies- 2
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Channa dal (garbanzo/chick pea) – 1/4 tsp
Urad dal (black gram)- 1/4 tsp
Peanuts nuts – 3 tbls
Curry Leaves – 1 strand
- Roast the vermicelli in a tsp of oil/ ghee till it turns golden brown and keep aside.
- Heat oil/ghee, splutter the mustard seeds. Fry the channa dal, urad dal, peanuts nuts, dry red chillies and curry leaves till it becomes golden brown.
- Add the onions and saute on a low flame just till it sweats.
- Now add the exact amount of water specified, add salt to the water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the roasted vermicelli, mix everything and reduce the flame to the lowest setting. Cover and let the vermicelli cook undisturbed for 5 minutes till all the water is absorbed.
- Switch off and gently toss
After sautéing the onions, you can try adding some grated coconut and then make the vermicelli upma as above or instead saute grated raw mango after you saute the onions or add 1 tbls of lemon juice at the end before serving. All of these change the depth and quality of the upma for a different flavor as well as different digestibility and different seasons.