Golden milk is not so golden
Here is another article on just another popular consumer “health” fad. This article was prompted by someone sending me a link and asking about it.
“Golden milk”. Another substance stolen from the indian heritage and Ayurveda, then marketed as the new health product given a Western hip renaming. Then once again, out of its context and without understanding it for its application and usage. Then it gets turned into a something different by “changing” or “bettering” it by Western interpretation and making it possibly poisoning to the individual. As everything from an Ayurvedic lens, it is used with yukti and viveka. It is easily stated with what is said from the Ayurvedic texts, What is amrita in the hands of the wise is a poison in the hands of the ignorant.
Yes, in this case Golden Milk is much better than drinking cold milk from the refrigerator as most Americans do daily.
This recipe is taken from “WellnessMama.com” I am not promoting this as a recipe to follow but using it as an example of how anyone can write anything posing as an expert and sheep believe it and follow it blindly. Especially when it is combining several of the newest health fads together, it has possibilities of creating disease and not being ‘healthy’.
- 1 can of Coconut Milk plus 1 cup of water OR 3 cups of homemade coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup or to taste
- Pinch of black pepper
- Tiny piece of fresh, peeled ginger root or ¼ tsp ginger powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Pour into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Drink immediately
- In India, “Golden milk”, which is not called that in India, is taken in a small quantity. See the photo above taken today. It was probably about a 1/4 cup quantity at most. Take a look at the chai picture at the bottom of the page. Yes, these are the real quantities used in what is healthy, not a 24 oz tumbler or the 1 can of Coconut Milk plus 1 cup of water OR 3 cups of homemade coconut milk as per the recipe above, in which homemade coconut milk would be even heavier and harder to digest as it is less processed.
- In Ayurveda, honey is never heated as it turns it poisonous. This is Ayurvedic as well as followed throughout India for centuries. Ayurvedic knows that the honey comes from a poisonous animal and the heating bring out the poisonous qualities in the honey. Even when honey is used in a preparation, it is put in after the preparation is cooled. Honey should never be cooked. Not even putting it into hot tea. Honey digests very very slowly if it is cooked and the molecules become a non-homogenized glue which adheres to mucous membranes and clogs the channels (srotas), producing toxins and toxicity. Uncooked (raw) honey is nectar. Cooked honey is poison.
Wanna have some golden milk that is actually healthy? Turmeric and milk and a bit of regular sugar are used in the real recipe. Have about 1/2 cup. Enjoy your longer life from not following a recipe written by anyone.
The main thing is to understand the excessive consumption here of something very cold and heavy, coconut milk. Normal milk is used in India, not coconut milk. We would not be putting coconut oil into regular milk like other recipes have written as well. Coconut has become a serious health fad in the West. Thats all. Just another fad. And an expensive fad as well. When substances are too heavy for the digestion or when they are taken at the wrong time of year (like spring time), they do not digest causing toxicity in the system. This toxicity or “aama” in time turns to disease.
Or….. you can even try an experiment yourself. Check your tongue before doing this. (Maybe even put that picture and the follow up picture in a comment below.) Make the recipe written at the beginning of this post from Wellnessmama. Then tomorrow, look in the mirror and notice the coated tongue you have created in the morning. That coating, that is what is called aama. It is toxicity that leads to disease formation. So now that you have created aama in your system, next week you can plan to do another “detox” which can also be found on Wellnessmama. When deeper knowledge is not known and superficial fads are followed we create disease, not health.
In Ayurveda, milk is contraindicated when the individual has aama so making this “health” drink is actually poisoning the system more if there is aama present. So much for it being golden. Except maybe your tongue will look gold as the aama will get stained by the turmeric.
Since milk with turmeric is also taken before sleep, I invite you to do the experiment and follow that recipe at the beginning and drink this before sleep if you have doubts. See how your feeling in the AM as well as what your tongue looks like and how your digestion is doing. See if you even have any appetite. It’s not likely. You’ll wake heavier in the head and possibly cloudy and maybe even be having a congested nose or even a cold. Without Ayurvedic knowledge, one would not correlate it to the golden milk they made. It will be hard to get up and without any resemblance of having an appetite for having a breakfast meal. Since most people would unconsciously just eat a breakfast anyway this spells disaster with the accumulation of undigested waste and then turns into a disease. But isn’t that how our Western world works? Blame it on something external? Seasonal allergies or catching a cold? Springtime flu? Hard to understand how we create it ourselves with the lifestyle we live and food that we intake.
Be careful about what you believe as what is healthy. Health is being marketed as so many foolish things today.
The quantity of a real chai above.
Hey!!! but its “golden milk”, the newest and coolest Western health idea!!!!!!!!
Please be wise and do not fall for the latest fads. They not only might harm your health, they also create a market which drives the substance being used into a ridiculous cost which makes it more challenging to then be used properly by the people using it with the wisdom it was supposed to be used with.
Best is to simply take care of your agni and eat balancing the seasons. Instructions for that can be found on this blog. Eat moderate. Read the other posts here on food and how to eat. Learn. Most of what is seen by way of disease can be cut off before it starts by following simple foundational knowledge.
In India, this recipe would be made ideally from fresh milk. Fresh milk is much easier to digest. If you have been to India, you realize that outside of the cities they really don’t use refrigerators all that much. The milk would be had from a cow and kept on the stove over heat. This is also how the cream is collected to make real ghee but that is another post. Realize there is a huge difference with culture from the Western modern world and the knowledge that they have as well as recognize that you can’t just take superficial ideas out of that context and apply it to your own without understanding it. Bullet proof coffee is another example of this.
Be careful and take care of your agni. It is the foundation of your health and life.