Recipe for Ladoos for Winter
Opposite to what has been taught in Western Ayurveda, you actually want to increase your kapha during the winter. This is how you build the strength of the body as well as the immune system. Western Ayurveda also teaches tat vata is high in the winter.
Charaka Samhita states that the only way vata can get aggravated during the winter is if you are not feeding your agni, your increased digestive fire. It is increased due to the cold weather and how that pushes the heat deeper into the system creating better digestion. If the fire that
This is a recipe to give you a healthy alternative to candy for the kids. it will imbibe them with incredible strength and healthy for the next year.
Caveat!!!! Just because you digestive fire is stronger, this never means you can gorge. Always always only eat to the capacity of your digestive fire. Anything more will always create ama (toxicity) and put out the fire.
Coconut, Walnut & Date Ladoo (Vata, Pitta)
- 1 cup Medjool dates (pits removed)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- 2 Tbsp. natural maple syrup
- Place the dates, walnuts and 1/2 cup of the unsweetened coconut into a food processor and process on high setting for 1-2 minutes or until finely ground. Reserve 1/2 cup of the coconut and spread on a plate.
- Add the maple syrup and process on low speed 30 seconds or until just combined.
- Form the mixture into small balls (ladoos).
- Roll the balls in the remaining coconut to coat the surface.
- Place the balls in a dish and keep in the refrigerator 1 hour or until well formed. Refrigerate to extend the life of the ladoo.
- Vata pacifying
- Pitta pacifying
- Aggravates kapha dosha
- Coconuts are high in lauric acid, which is best known for being antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and also helps to boost the immune system. Coconuts also increase your metabolism and promote a healthy thyroid function.
- Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are known to help prevent coronary artery disease and strokes. Walnuts are a great source of Vitamin E and contain certain minerals such as manganese, copper and iron.
- Dates consist of simple sugars such as fructose and dextrose that when consumed revitalize the body and provide instant energy. Dates are also high in dietary fiber and prevent LDL cholesterol absorption in the body. Dates are an excellent source of iron, potassium, vitamin A and contain certain minerals such as calcium and copper.